I shot this short film in my kitchen this last summer. I made it mainly as practice in film-making, and in that regard it was quite useful since it made me plan the shots and string together some kind of simple narrative. But the biggest challenge actually turned out to be colour correction: getting the right balance between warm and cold tones. Unlike my previous camera, which was a camcorder, this camera doesn’t have auto white balance. All you can do is set the colour temperature in the settings, as a guessed value in Kelvin. After that it’s down to correcting the balance manually by tweaking sliders in post.
I quickly decided to shoot with only available light (daylight from a window) because I knew the mixture of different hues from daylight and overhead lights would be extra tricky. Even then, it was pretty tough, and I still don’t feel I got it completely right. I learnt a lot in the process though, and in particular I found out that the ‘standard’ colour settings on my monitor were hopelessly out – leading me initially to produce results that looked way off on other screens.